The Unfiltered Blog
DIY furnace maintenance checklist
Have you ever come home to a house that felt like the inside of a freezer? And when you looked at the thermostat you wondered, “what the heck is going on?”
When your furnace isn’t running properly, sometimes the solution is as simple as a flip of a switch. That is why we put together a DIY furnace maintenance checklist for you to use the next time your house feels like the inside of a freezer.
- Double check that your thermostat is turned to the heat function and has been set to 72 degrees. It is not uncommon for another member of the household to make changes to the thermostat that results in the furnace being turned off or the temperature setting being cooler than you would prefer.
- Check the batteries in your thermostat. If you have not had your air conditioner or furnace maintenance completed in the last 2-3 years, there is a good possibility the batteries need replaced.
- It is not uncommon for the furnace switch to be accidentally turned off. Always double check that the switch is in the on position, you can locate the switch on the side of your furnace.
- Check inside your breaker panel to see if the breaker your furnace is connected to has been tripped and needs reset.
- Check your furnace filter to make sure it has been installed properly and does not need to be replaced. Changing the filter regularly will help prevent furnace shutdowns. A clogged filter can cause your furnace to stop workin
g because it completely restricts airflow.
- Check the outside vents to ensure nothing is causing the air flow to be obstructed.
After going through this checklist, if your furnace is still not heating your home properly, it might be something more technical. Give us a call at 515-244-8911 or contact us online. Our service technicians are on call 24 hours a day and ready to help solve your heating problems.