The Unfiltered Blog
March 20, 2017
9 spring cleaning tips for your HVAC system
By Steve Terry, Service Manager
Spring is here! And so is the housework that comes with the changing of the season. Enjoy a more comfortable spring simply by adding these nine simple tips to your spring cleaning to-do list.
1. Change your filters if you haven’t done so recently. In case you missed it, this video talks about different types of filters and how often each one needs changing.
2. Test your system. Before hot weather hits, turn on your AC system and make sure that everything is working properly. If something seems off, we can come and take a look before you’re dealing with 90-degree temperatures.
3. Replace the batteries in your thermostat. We recommend doing this twice a year, and daylight saving time is a good reminder to swap in new batteries.
4. Schedule your spring AC maintenance appointment with Bell Brothers. If you don’t have an annual maintenance agreement with us, give us a call and schedule an appointment. We recommend having your system checked twice a year — once for the AC and once for the furnace
5. Consider adding an Air Knight air purifier to your system. This product is designed to produce cleaner air by reducing mold, bacteria and viruses, as well as odors, air pollutants, volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and smoke. The Air Knight is our Accessory of the Month for March, so they’re 10% off (usually $719.34) through the month.
6. Check your roof and gutters for debris and damage that might have occurred during winter.
7. Seal up your windows. There’s nothing more frustrating than a high energy bill. Make sure your doors and windows are properly sealed, so that you’re not wasting any of that air conditioning when warmer months arrive.
8. Get your ductwork cleaned. Did you do any renovations over the winter? If so, your ducts might be filled with dust or debris. Or has it been awhile (five to 10 years) since you last had them cleaned? Clean ducts will help your system run its best.
9. Is it time to upgrade? Spring is a great time to replace your HVAC system. Ask a Bell Brothers expert if it might be time for you to upgrade to a new high-efficiency system.
Follow us on Facebook for more home comfort tips year long. Have more questions about how to get your HVAC system ready for spring? Give us a call at 515-244-8911 or visit our website.